Getting a workout while playing video games is a neat idea. Before Wii Fit, Dance Dance Revolution was quite popular, but it never made it to Wii-levels of demand. I recall seeing DDR show up on talk shows, news channels, and even in libraries. The Wii, though, is much more versatile, and even without Wii Fit, it gets people off the couch. Good Wii games, like Super Mario Galaxy and Wii Sports, can be played co-operatively and are much more entertaining when played with others. I do not own a Wii, but I have played the console while visiting friends who do own one.
Nike+ is yet another neat mashup. It illustrates the emerging world of shared data and smart ubiquitous apps. I am not a runner, but I would certainly try it if I were.
Recently, I noticed that Google Maps has an option for walking directions that produce a slightly different route when compared to using a vehicle. Things like street direction (one-way streets) are ignored and Google gives a different estimated trip length. This is a potentially handy feature for mobile device users who are trying to navigate dense urban environments. Although, walking directions in Google Maps is in beta and may not work correctly in some circumstances.
Nutrition Data is neat, and it appears that its personalized resources are for registered users only. However, I located the Nutrient Search Tool that includes data from popular fast food places (yikes!). I know that there are sites that collect and post nutritional info from the fast food places, and the restaurants usually post it themselves, but I like the additional charts and graphs that Nutrition Data includes. I will try not to think too hard about this site while I enjoy my Quarter Pounder with Cheese.
Lesson #3: Technology, Health and Wellness
Posted by
roop the librarian
on
Thursday, September 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment