Lesson #2: Blog Refresher and Intro (Learn 2.1 Go!)

Hello, world! I am a librarian here at the Orange County Library System, and I am introducing myself to my fellow Learn 2.1 participants.

I am a recent hire to the system, but I am actually a rehire. I started as a branch shelving clerk several years ago and later became a TCSS. Then, I left and spent some time doing other things before moving to Tallahassee, FL to start library school at Florida State University. I also worked at FSU Libraries while I was in school. For my B.A., I went to UCF and majored in English.

I have spent more time reading blogs than writing them ("blogging"). According to my Google Reader Trends, Kotaku (a video game blog) is one my favorites. Some of my other favorites include Jalopnik, Autoblog, Gizmodo, io9, and BoingBoing. I sporadically read a bunch of blogs by librarians, including: Information Wants To Be Free and the Free Range Librarian. I also like Planet Code4Lib, a super awesome metablog that covers the library blogosphere, but it is easier to browse this one than read everything posted.

Learn 2.1 is a great opportunity to explore emerging trends that impact our profession and to learn co-operatively with my colleagues. Web 3.0 is something that I have not given much thought. For many, Web 2.0 still needs definition and remains a vast wilderness. The idea has only recently taken root in our pop-culture subconscious. Yet, no sooner than it acquired a semi-permanent place, it is evolving into the next iteration.

1 comment:

OCLS Learn 2.0 said...

Hey Roop!

Welcome to the course and welcome back to OCLS! Thanks for sharing the links. The PlanetCode4Lib link was a great one. Enjoy the course!

Tom